Check out how our community of supporters helped us house, feed, and support thousands of families with critically ill children. Read more about Sara’s Story — Baby Bobbie Comes Home...27 May, 2021
An anchor for families & critically ill children in medical crisis
Who We Serve
Meeting families & sick kids where they’re at
RMHC Bay Area provides medically underserved families and sick children with essential housing, meal and support services as they access specialized care at our partner hospitals.
Did you know?
- 20% of Ronald McDonald House at Stanford families come from federally-designated medically underserved communities. Check out Emilio’s story >>
- More than a third of our families served speak only Spanish.
- 81% of families are low-income, earning less that $47,000 for a family of four. See how we’re tackling hunger at the hospital >>
- We are a leader in delivering Latinx/Spanish-language mental health services and training. Meet Dr. Hernández, associate director of Family Support Services >>
Race & Ethnicity
- Hispanic/Latino, 35%
- White/Caucasian, 39%
- Asian/Pacific Islander, 7%
- Other, 10%
- Black/African American, 5%
- Multi-Ethnic, 2%
- Native American/Alaskan, 2%
Top Clinical Services Accessed by Patients
- Cardiology/Heart Transplants, 41%
- Oncology, 13%
- Liver & Kidney Transplants, 12%
- Neurosurgery, 11%
- Neonatal Intensive Care Unit, 23%
- Cardiology, 19%
- Pediatric Surgery, 11%
- Outpatient, 9%
- Pediatric Intensive Care Unit, 9%
Information about the families we serve at UCSF Benioff Children’s Hospital Oakland will be available soon! In the meantime, learn more about how our new Feed the Love program is tackling food insecurity at the hospital.
Family Impact Stories
Qaim Shah and his young son Tauseef have a little less to worry about these days, thanks to a donated apartment in San Francisco. "I really appreciate it because it's a tough time," said Qaim Shah. Read more about ABC7 Alternative Housing Partnership Feature...20 January, 2021
Why We Serve
As associate director of Family Support Services (FSS) at Ronald McDonald House Charities Bay Area (RMHC Bay Area), Dr. Martha Hernández plays an... Read more about Why We Serve — Minority Mental Health Awareness...
Cecilia Aviles knew from a young age that she wanted to make an impact in the medical field. As the daughter and granddaughter of Salvadoran immigrants... Read more about Why We Serve – Bridging the Gap in Healthcare...
Ross Glasser feels joining the board of Ronald McDonald House Charities Bay Area was meant to happen exactly when it did. “There’s a confluence of events that made this the right time... Read more about Why We Serve – The Impact of Charity...
As a new member of the Ronald McDonald House Charities Bay Area board of directors, Rishi Seth sees nothing but possibilities ahead for the organization. “We want to get bigger, we want to expand, we want to support... Read more about Why We Serve – Keeping Families at the Center...
Meet Ana | A Frontline Hero
For three years, Ana Henríquez has worked behind the scenes at Ronald McDonald House as a professional housekeeper. She says, “As human beings, we have the ability to help children and families who need help. For me it’s easy to take a moment and say ‘Hey, have a cup of coﬀee, drink some water,’ before they leave for the hospital because I know they have a long day ahead. It’s our job to work, and their job to take care of their children so they can survive their illnesses — and it’s not easy.”
Read more about how Ana is a hero to Ronald McDonald House families.