Job Site: Regional travel to Oakland and San Francisco, with primary office at Ronald McDonald House at Stanford, Palo Alto; temporary remote position due to COVID-19
Job Type: Full-time, non-exempt; salary starting at $40,000 annually; competitive benefits
RMHC Bay Area is looking for a creative, self-motivated, and multi-talented Communications Coordinator to join our Development team. The Communications Coordinator will work closely with frontline fundraisers, operations staff, and external stakeholders to create written and multimedia content that: (1) creates visibility of RMHC Bay Area’s mission and impact; (2) builds trust and relationships with internal and external stakeholders; (3) supports the acquisition and stewardship of donors; and (4) inspires active engagement with the organization.
The Communications Coordinator will serve as the principal writer, editor, and content creator for the organization’s print and electronic publications, website, forthcoming blog, social media channels, press releases, stewardship communications, and other marketing projects for internal and external audiences. Projects will involve planning and creating content for individual and organizational donors, volunteers, families, program staff, media, and the public, such as: campaign-related promotional materials, fundraising and stewardship letters, full-length feature stories and eNews articles, testimonials, and impact statements and reports. The Coordinator will also be responsible for writing, editing, curating, and scheduling daily social media content (in English and Spanish).
Bilingual Spanish Speakers Encouraged to Apply
RMHC Bay Area serves a large population of Spanish-speaking families who live in medically underserved communities and face additional barriers to accessing critical care for their children. Fluent/native Spanish speakers are encouraged to apply.
Duties & Responsibilities
Development Writing, Editing & Content Creation
- Interview families, donors, and other stakeholders to write engaging stories, blog articles, eNews, and cross-channel content for the organization’s print and digital publications
- Write, edit, design, curate, and schedule daily social media content
- Create compelling and timely content about programmatic and fundraising priorities and results for use in print, electronic, and other communications, including donor stewardship materials, proposals and reports, appeal and thank you letters, talking points, presentations, etc.
- Develop strong relationships with program staff to capture story content, images, and video
- Establish an organizational style guide and ensure adherence to global brand standards locally
- Leverage existing RMHC assets for designing, creating, and positioning content
Communications Coordinating & Media Relations
- Work with Marketing Coordinator to execute communications strategy, including managing Hootsuite calendar, advancing content priorities, analyzing audience behavior and needs, and implementing and evaluating effectiveness of paid promotions and mini campaigns
- Establish and manage photo/video storage architecture and archive process for the organization
- Execute outreach and earned media strategy, including writing press releases and story pitches
- Assist Marketing Coordinator in media interview preparation and onsite coordination
Experience & Education
The ideal candidate should have the following by their official start date:
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, marketing, public relations, or related field; associate degree with 3 years of full-time professional writing experience may be considered
- 2-3 years of relevant professional experience in writing for development/fundraising, communications, media relations, journalism, marketing, public relations, or related field; master’s degree may be substituted for one year of professional experience
- Experience interacting with people from diverse cultural and socioeconomic backgrounds
- Experience gathering information by means of interviews, database research, etc.
- Experience with relationship/CRM databases or Mailchimp, is a plus
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Ability to speak and write fluently in Spanish, including translating grammatically accurate and culturally appropriate written copy in Spanish, is a plus; non-Spanish speakers should demonstrate ability to work with Spanish-speaking staff to create bilingual content
- Outstanding writing, editing, and proofreading skills; photography/basic video skills a plus
- Multifaceted content creation skills, including: feature writing, business writing, social media writing and post design, and graphic design skills required to produce digital and print materials
- Knowledge of standard communications concepts and practices, including: expert use of English grammar, punctuation, and syntax; understanding of branding and positioning strategies; ability to ghost write for senior officers; ability to learn subject-specific terminology for written materials; knowledge of when and how to use various channels of communication
- Exceptional interviewing and interpersonal communication skills, and demonstrated ability to interface professionally with clients, volunteers, donors, board members, media, and staff
- Knowledge of current social media trends, including familiarity with Facebook and Google Ads.
- Advanced proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Proficiency with basic design programs, e.g., Canva, is required; proficiency with Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign, HTML, etc. is a plus
- Ability to independently plan, organize, coordinate, perform, and prioritize work while managing multiple deadlines, simultaneous projects, and competing demands and requests
- COVID-19 abilities: Ability to work effectively and build relationships in a remote work environment, e.g., reliable internet/phone service, space to conduct stakeholder interviews, etc.
- Post-COVID-19 abilities: Reliable transportation; ability to travel regularly to RMHC Bay Area’s headquarters (Palo Alto) and program sites in San Francisco and Oakland
- Ability to work nights and weekends, as needed.
Job description is for informational purposes only. Additional duties consistent with the responsibility level may be assigned.
How to Apply
Candidates should submit their resume, cover letter, and an electronic portfolio/work samples, with no fewer than five samples. that may include print media, social media products, campaign work, writing samples, and web, audio and video links that are representative of their skills and abilities to email@example.com.
Job Site: Ronald McDonald House at Stanford, 510 Sand Hill Road, Palo Alto, CA
The Operations Coordinator plays a critical role within the Family Services team working alongside the Associate Director to support the 24/7 operations at the 123-room Stanford Ronald McDonald House. Operations Coordinator is responsible for the everyday support of the Guest Services Team (13) and Meal Program Associates (2), ensuring and delivering the mission of RMH by providing the best guest experience. The Operations Coordinator meets these daily responsibilities by supervising and supporting front desk personnel, including the onboarding process, training, coaching, and directing all work. The ideal candidate values teamwork, as this position works closely with the Accommodations Coordinator, Meal Coordinator and Volunteer Manager to support their respective programs to meet the families’ needs.
This position requires high-level customer service, interpersonal skills, confidentiality, and the ability to work with diverse populations. The Operations Coordinator and their team is the first point of contact and representation of RMHC with guest families, community volunteers and donors, vendors, and hospital partners. Requires on-the-fly problem solving skills, ability to deescalate issues and concerns, and an eye for sustainability and scalability.
This is a full-time, non-exempt position reporting to the Associate Director, Family Services. The standard schedule for this position is Sunday-Thursday, 10:30 am – 7:30 pm and is expected to work a flex schedule to meet the needs of their staff. This role requires working some weekends, and holidays. Required to cover Guest Service Associate shifts on occasion. This role is based out of the Stanford (Palo Alto, CA) location.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Collaborate with Associate Director to design Guest Services Associate (GSA) task management process
- Implement training for GSAs, in coordination with Associate Director
- Manage all aspects Day Pass Program including collateral production, orientation for volunteers and Day Pass families, registration process
- Direct the daily work of GSAs while assuring that services and programs are provided in a manner consistent with current policy and procedures
- Responsible for common spaces throughout campus (laundry rooms, computer nook, gym, lounge, consultation rooms, lobby, storage areas, TV rooms, Day Pass spaces, great room, seating nooks in hallways, rec room, conference rooms, magic closet), requiring the following:
- Develop guidelines and protocols for each space
- Establish and maintain “on hand” supply and inventory levels
- Ensure that each space is restocked daily
- Conduct daily walkthroughs ensuring that each space is tidy, safe, in good condition and to plan daily volunteer tasks
- Place work orders for malfunctioning or broken furniture and equipment
- Collaborate with meal, accommodations, maintenance, and volunteer services to troubleshoot concerns, and under the direction of the Associate Director execute on solutions
- Track and report statistics
QUALIFICATIONS AND PREREQUISITES: EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred
PRIOR WORK EXPERIENCE:
- Five years’ experience managing people and key relationships
- Experience interacting with people from diverse cultural and socio-economic backgrounds.
- Demonstrated ability to interface comfortably and professionally with members of the public and staff
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Basic knowledge of Microsoft suite and enthusiasm for learning new software tools
- Highly customer service oriented with enthusiasm and good sense of humor
- Able to handle difficult situations with confidence and compassion
- Well-developed oral and written communication skills with the ability to interact effectively with all levels of the organization
- Excellent organization skills and pro-active problem solver
- Strong attention to detail
- Ability to work in a demanding environment within a dynamic team
- Maintains confidentiality of House families and related reports and documentation
- Ability to work in a semi-medical environment with children being treated with life-threatening illnesses and their families
- Valid CA driver’s license
- Must be able to lift 25 pounds
Job description is for informational purposes only. Additional duties that are consistent with the responsibility level may be assigned.
HOW TO APPLY
Please send your cover letter and resume as attachments in MS Word or PDF format only. In the subject line of the email, please list your last name and the position title.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: Up to $20.00 per hour
- Dental insurance
- Disability insurance
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Referral program
- Retirement plan
- Vision insurance
- 8 hour shift
- On call
We have taken all the necessary measures to ensure that our families and our staff are kept safe from the virus.
- Operations: 1 year (Preferred)
This Job Is Ideal for Someone Who Is:
- Dependable — more reliable than spontaneous
- People-oriented — enjoys interacting with people and working on group projects
- Adaptable/flexible — enjoys doing work that requires frequent shifts in direction
- Detail-oriented — would rather focus on the details of work than the bigger picture
- Achievement-oriented — enjoys taking on challenges, even if they might fail
- Autonomous/Independent — enjoys working with little direction
- Innovative — prefers working in unconventional ways or on tasks that require creativity
- High stress tolerance — thrives in a high-pressure environment
This Job Is:
- A job for which all ages, including older job seekers, are encouraged to apply
Company’s Facebook page:
- Only full-time employees eligible