RMHC Bay Area is looking for a creative, self-motivated, and multi-talented Communications Coordinator to join our Development team. The Communications Coordinator will work closely with frontline fundraisers, operations staff, and external stakeholders to create written and multimedia content that: (1) creates visibility of RMHC Bay Area’s mission and impact; (2) builds trust and relationships with internal and external stakeholders; (3) supports the acquisition and stewardship of donors; and (4) inspires active engagement with the organization.
The Communications Coordinator will serve as the principal writer, editor, and content creator for the organization’s print and electronic publications, website, forthcoming blog, social media channels, press releases, stewardship communications, and other marketing projects for internal and external audiences. Projects will involve planning and creating content for individual and organizational donors, volunteers, families, program staff, media, and the public, such as: campaign-related promotional materials, fundraising and stewardship letters, full-length feature stories and eNews articles, testimonials, and impact statements and reports. The Coordinator will also be responsible for writing, editing, curating, and scheduling daily social media content (in English and Spanish).
Bilingual Spanish Speakers Encouraged to Apply
RMHC Bay Area serves a large population of Spanish-speaking families who live in medically underserved communities and face additional barriers to accessing critical care for their children. Fluent/native Spanish speakers are encouraged to apply.
Duties & Responsibilities
Development Writing, Editing & Content Creation
- Interview families, donors, and other stakeholders to write engaging stories, blog articles, eNews, and cross-channel content for the organization’s print and digital publications
- Write, edit, design, curate, and schedule daily social media content
- Create compelling and timely content about programmatic and fundraising priorities and results for use in print, electronic, and other communications, including donor stewardship materials, proposals and reports, appeal and thank you letters, talking points, presentations, etc.
- Develop strong relationships with program staff to capture story content, images, and video
- Establish an organizational style guide and ensure adherence to global brand standards locally
- Leverage existing RMHC assets for designing, creating, and positioning content
Communications Coordinating & Media Relations
- Work with Marketing Coordinator to execute communications strategy, including managing Hootsuite calendar, advancing content priorities, analyzing audience behavior and needs, and implementing and evaluating effectiveness of paid promotions and mini campaigns
- Establish and manage photo/video storage architecture and archive process for the organization
- Execute outreach and earned media strategy, including writing press releases and story pitches
- Assist Marketing Coordinator in media interview preparation and onsite coordination
Experience & Education
The idea candidate should have the following by their official start date:
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, marketing, public relations, or related field; associate degree with 3 years of full-time professional writing experience may be considered
- 2-3 years of relevant professional experience in writing for development/fundraising, communications, media relations, journalism, marketing, public relations, or related field; master’s degree may be substituted for one year of professional experience
- Experience interacting with people from diverse cultural and socioeconomic backgrounds
- Experience gathering information by means of interviews, database research, etc.
- Experience with relationship/CRM databases or Mailchimp, is a plus
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Ability to speak and write fluently in Spanish, including translating grammatically accurate and culturally appropriate written copy in Spanish, is a plus; non-Spanish speakers should demonstrate ability to work with Spanish-speaking staff to create bilingual content
- Outstanding writing, editing, and proofreading skills; photography/basic video skills a plus
- Multifaceted content creation skills, including: feature writing, business writing, social media writing and post design, and graphic design skills required to produce digital and print materials
- Knowledge of standard communications concepts and practices, including: expert use of English grammar, punctuation, and syntax; understanding of branding and positioning strategies; ability to ghost write for senior officers; ability to learn subject-specific terminology for written materials; knowledge of when and how to use various channels of communication
- Exceptional interviewing and interpersonal communication skills, and demonstrated ability to interface professionally with clients, volunteers, donors, board members, media, and staff
- Knowledge of current social media trends, including familiarity with Facebook and Google Ads.
- Advanced proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Proficiency with basic design programs, e.g., Canva, is required; proficiency with Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign, HTML, etc. is a plus
- Ability to independently plan, organize, coordinate, perform, and prioritize work while managing multiple deadlines, simultaneous projects, and competing demands and requests
- COVID-19 abilities: Ability to work effectively and build relationships in a remote work environment, e.g., reliable internet/phone service, space to conduct stakeholder interviews, etc.
- Post-COVID-19 abilities: Reliable transportation; ability to travel regularly to RMHC Bay Area’s headquarters (Palo Alto) and program sites in San Francisco and Oakland
- Ability to work nights and weekends, as needed.
Job description is for informational purposes only. Additional duties consistent with the responsibility level may be assigned.
How to Apply
Candidates should submit their resume, cover letter, and an electronic portfolio/work samples, with no fewer than five samples. that may include print media, social media products, campaign work, writing samples, and web, audio and video links that are representative of their skills and abilities to email@example.com.